Brigid's Church, Clonegal
Builders: Hickeys, Kilcarry.
parish was Barragh and Moyacomb. The church of Barragh was
destroyed by Cromwell’s soldiers in 1650. A Patron
day took place here until 1798. The holy well known as Cranevane
was restored for Jubilee 2000.
The word Moyacomb is from the Irish Magh-da-Chon meaning the plain of the two
hounds. It is the ancestral patrimony of the O’ Neill’s of Leinster.
The village of Clonegal on the river Derry was near where the coach roads from
the midlands, Kildare and Dublin converged.
is often asked why the church is so big (Barn Type) and
is that it was constructed around the previous thatched
chapel then in use. When the church was completed the old
was taken out through the doors of the new church. This
old church had in turn replaced another thatched church
had been situated about a mile up the road to Monaughrim
in a place called Knockafaugh (the long hill). The stone
for the new church came from a quarry in Monaughrim. The
ceiling has beautiful work done by Italian artisans. The
is pointed with four miniature spires. The most important
feature of the Sanctuary area is the paired Corinthian
flanked by pilaster and surmounted by an open pediment.
In the year 2000 a Jubilee Cross (by Brendan Dunbar of Courtown) was erected
just inside the entrance gates to the church. Keeping in touch with modern
times St Brigid’s Church now has an electronic bell system.
Fr. Pat Hughes
Parochial House, Myshall, Co. Carlow.
Tel: 059 915 7635
Fr. Joseph Fleming
Clonegal, Co Carlow
Tel: 053 937 7298
Child Protection Officers:
Margaret Doyle 087 838 0018
John McCabe 087 948 9342
Saturday Evening 6.30pm
For Weddings, Funerals,
Christenings and other services
Fr. Joseph Fleming at 053 937 7298