Lazerian's Church, Kildavin
Church Kildavin is situated on a little hill overlooking
the village of Kildavin and the beautifully scenic Blackstairs
valley. Generations of Kildavin people have worshiped here
and this church has witnessed the christenings, weddings,
funerals and many of the life celebrations of this community.
church dates to circa 1830. Initially it was a fairly simple
building and in 1860 was described as having a mud floor
and no seats. The Parish Priest at that time, Fr Dunne,
arranged for a stone floor to be installed and also for
the seating arrangements to be improved. This work was
funded by selling some of the ‘seats’ to more
wealthy parishioners. £7 and upwards could guarantee
you a family seat.
The name of Cardinal Spellman is associated with Kildavin and his grandmother
and ancestors are to be found in the graveyard surrounding St Lazerian’s
Above the sanctuary is written the Latin phrase; HIC DOMUS DEI EST, ET PORTA
COELI (Here is the House of God and the Gateway to Heaven)
The church has undergone renovations in recent years having had the roof replaced
in 2009 and all the windows and carpets replaced in the recent past.
Fr. Pat Hughes
Parochial House, Myshall, Co. Carlow.
Tel: 059 915 7635
Fr. Joseph Fleming
Clonegal, Co Carlow
Tel: 053 937 7298
Child Protection Officers:
Margaret Doyle 087 838 0018
John McCabe 087 948 9342
Sunday Morning 11.30am
Funerals, Christenings and other services
please contact: Fr Joseph Fleming at 053 937 7298